Shellman was established in 1883. It was first known as Ward Station, named for Major W.F. Shellman who was traffic manager for Central Georgia Railroad. By act of the legislature Ward Station became the incorporated town of Shellman in September of 1883.
The population began with the small number of seven and grew to one thousand in 1914. The population in Shellman now is 1,166.